Tuesday, September 27, 2011

An eventful night

My sweet Lincoln scared the crap out of me today. The boys and I had run to Target and I promised Kallen that we could have pizza for supper if he was good and stayed dry (almost potty trained!) the entire time. He did awesome so around 5:30 we headed on over to the food court, ordered our pizza, and sat down to eat it. I was feeding Lincoln bites of pepperoni pizza, and trying to keep Kallen in one spot so he could eat his, when Lincoln let out a terrible scream. I thought maybe he was trying to pass some gas or something so I grabbed him and started patting his back. He continued to scream uncontrolably (this is a child who Rarely cries and has Never screamed like this) so I loaded Kallen and our dinner up in the cart and started heading to the van. Lincoln screamed the entire way home and, I suppose it was my imagination, but I could have swore his lips were starting to swell. We got home, and Lincoln did not calm down at all so I decided it was time to take action. I called our clinic and told them I was coming in, then called my sister in Polk City to come get Kallen (Shawn had an away meet in Ames tonight), then ran Kallen over to the neighbors to hang out until Steph could get here.
By the time we got to the clinic, Lincoln had been screaming for an entire hour. (you know, that painful scream that kids make when you know something is wrong) I guess my mind just kept going to "allergic reaction" for some reason. None of us have allergies so I am not really sure why I even thought that is what it could be. After what seemed like forever, but in reality was probably only 5 minutes, the nurse took us back and started the usual routine. ( undress them down to the diaper, listen to their heart, take their temp, etc..) Lincoln began to calm down and as I layed him on the scale to be weighed he started giggling. (At this point I am thinking "You have got to be kidding me!")
As we waited for the doctor to come in (not our usual doctor whom I love) Lincoln began to explore the room, and by the time she came in he was smiling, jabbering, and dancing. She checked him over, glanced in his ears, and quickly said "Oh, he has a double ear infection". I asked how bad and her words were "Just your typical infection, not too bad!" She called in a prescription for amoxicillin and we were on our way back home. (Now- my opinion on doctors (especially any doctor besides our usual one who is basically the only one I trust), anti-biotics, and ear infection diagnosis's would lead into an entire new blog post....and a long one at that. Let's just say I have no plans to fill that perscription)
While I am very relieved that Lincoln is fine and that he was not, in fact, having an allergic reaction of any sort- it does really bother me that my child would cry- that painful, "mommy please make it stop"-cry for an entire hour and then just suddenly stop. And it especially bothers me to not have an answer as to what it could have been. (Kallen had at least 15 ear infections in his first 2 years of life, so I know what an ear infection looks like. And I really do not feel that Lincoln's crying had anything to do with his ears.) I suppose I may never know what was going on with my little boy- but lets just hope it never happens again! I am not a mother who freaks out easily, and i must say, Lincoln had me freaking out a little.
I guess when it is all said and done, I can only thank God for great neighbors, and awesome sister and b.i.l., hug my babies a little tighter tonight, and be thankful it was nothing serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment