Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Naptime Battles

Kallen and I have recently hit a "rough patch" in our daily schedule. Up until recently his sleeping schedule has been:
  • wake up around 7am
  • morning nap from 9-11
  • afternoon nap from 12:30-3:30
  • go to bed anywhere from 7-8pm.

Do you see the, oh so very narrow, gap that left me to go anywhere outside of our house without a cranky child? Most mornings I would just risk it and run around anyways, but never without complete meltdowns at numerous locations. While this schedule made things inconvenient for me- I came to the conclusion that if my child needed that much sleep for a season in his life, then that was something I was willing to work around. So I run most of my errands in the afternoon, and sometimes do what I have to in the mornings.

Last week I started to notice a shift in Kallen's schedule. I knew we were probably at the age where he only needed one nap/day but he was always so cranky without that morning nap, that I just let him have it. Last week his morning naps started to get shorter, and shorter, and on top of that he began to fight his afternoon naps. I would try to put him down after lunch like I normally do but he would stand in his crib and cry and cry until finally after 45min-an hour I would finally go get him. The results were usually a very cranky boy and mommy for the rest of the afternoon. By 6:30 he would be ready for bed and it was all I could do to get him to make it to 7. I reached my limit when yesterday he decided he didn't need to nap at all. Our entire day yesterday was basically a battle of the wills- Mommy vs. Kallen- and unfortunately Kallen won. :S By the time I had to go to work last night I was completely exhausted, our house was a disaster (when Kallen is tired he gets super destructive), and by the time Shawn got him Kallen was so tired he was crying about everything. I spent most of last night thinking, and flipping through a couple parenting magazines and I came up with a game plan.

#1.) I absolutely will NOT go get Kallen in the mornings until he is happily jabbering in his crib. (usually he wakes up crying at 7 and I rush in to get him) This morning he cried from 7-7:30 and by the time I walked in to get him at 7:45 he was in the best mood, just talking to his fish by his bed and smiling!!

#2.) No matter how grouchy he is, I will not let him take a morning nap!! (This may mean a rather challenging morning for me, but I really think it will pay off in the end) I started this today, and our morning went suprisingly well and Kallen is happily snoozing in his crib right now!! :)

This is probably something I should have done a while ago, but I'll blame my pregnancy on the fact that recently I just have not had the energy to fight Kallen on things. This needs to end because he definitely does NOT need to be the one running this household!! Anyways- I am excited about our new schedule! Plus I think it will work out nicely when little brother gets here in just 8 more weeks!

1 comment:

  1. UNFORTUNATELY I can completely relate. I've been realizing Dawson's ready to drop his second nap too. I thought I could get away with every other day for a while. The last two days he was really tired and cranky in the morning so I thought we could get away with two naps. And he did the same thing when it was his 2nd naptime- cried for at least 45 min. in his crib until I gave in and got him. Bennett didn't drop his second nap until almost 16 mos so I didn't think Dawson would go through it so soon :(
    The worst part for you is when you have your baby taking two naps and Kallen taking one in the middle of the day!! You're pretty much trapped all day. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete