Thursday, December 9, 2010

Santa Baby

I did not grow up believing in Santa- my Mom always felt like he took away from the true meaning of Christmas and I agree. So we have decided that we are not going to teach our kids to believe in Santa either. We will tell them the story of Santa, but we won't pretend like he is real today.
I do, however, still think it is fun to get that yearly photo of them sitting on Santa's lap.
(mostly just to see their reaction)
Here is Kallen last year:

He sat on Santa's lap like he was another member of our family- no big deal! He was roughly 7 months in that picture.
Then there was this years attempt at a picture with Santa.
This is as close as Kallen would get:
he was handing Santa books.
This was on Monday (yes the same day of all the events in my last blog post) and Kallen was in quite the mood. My sister came down for the afternoon to help me get some christmas shopping done. We knew we wanted to try the whole Santa thing and there was absolutely no one in line so we went on in. I knew Kallen would probably have some hesitation this year, but I never fathomed it would go as bad as it did.
As soon as I pulled Kallen out of the stroller he started throwing a fit. I tried to coax him over to santa which resulted in kallen seriously on the ground kicking and screaming (he has never done this to me EVER). I was soo embarrased and thankful that there were not any other people standing in line to witness my childs behavior. I quickly gave up on the Santa idea (thus the above picture- I figured it was as good as it was going to get) and began trying to wrap things up and get us out of there before Kallen made any more of a scene. That is about the time that my sister looked at me and pointed to Kallen who was standing there, looking at the reindeer with his little pointer finger out, saying "boom boom". (his daddy taught him to shoot deer and in his defense what 1 year old would know the difference?) I about died! I'm pretty sure Santa looked at me like I was the worse mother in the world. He was probably thinking "what is wrong with these people!?" I quickly grabbed my boys and we high-talied it out of there!
Of course Lincoln was perfect:
Maybe next years Santa visit will go a little better. :S


3 comments:

  1. Lij shoots and all monsters , deer and other various things. It's so normal for boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff, thanks so much for taking time to write all of these updates all the time! They seriously make my day! I really miss the boys and can't wait to see them on the 20th! And you and Shawn of course! I love you all and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post. We have decided not to "promote" Santa in our house as well, but I know that we can't shield them from it. Thanks for sharing your approach.

    ReplyDelete