Saturday, February 26, 2011

Deer Classic

I knew as soon as we found out Lincoln was a boy (or perhaps it was the minute I married Shawn) that camo, guns, and hunting were going to become a permanent part of my life. (this is also when I gave up the fight and bought a camo diaper bag) Of course I can totally understand men's need to kill animals, bring them home, and cut them up to pieces- NOT!! But, all sarcasm aside, I do love the fact that this is something that boys and their Dads can bond over.
Kallen - without much training- seems to love deer hunting about as much as his Dad. Several times a day he will bring me one of Shawn's hunting magazines and we have to sit down and look at every single page. (shooting all the deer and screaming "boom boom") Often times our afternoons consist of hiding little deer all over our house, putting on Kallen's boots, and hunting for them. And the other day Shawn and my brother-in-law Casey spent hours down in our basement working up deer meat, so guess who needed to spend most of his day down there too? ( I tried really hard not to think about all of the things Kallen was probably getting into/ doing down there)
It is because of all of these things that something happened yesterday that I never thought would happen in my entire life...... I actually got excited to go to the Deer Classic. I could not wait to see Kallen's reaction to all of the deer and other random dead animals hanging everywhere.
(plus is does make for some good people watching. Not quite as good as the state fair but not too far behind)
(does that make me sound like a snob? Sorry)
Here are my boys all camoed out and ready to go!
Kallen was soo excited, and spent most of his time pointing to deer and saying "boom boom!"

Lincoln just chilled in his carseat.

I just love this picture!

Kallen wants to do everything Shawn does and it is so special to just sit back and watch the strong bond forming between these two!
Will I be attending every single Deer Classic? Lets hope not!
But I love seeing my boys share a love for something and I am thinking in the future the Deer Classic will mean a boys day for them and a shopping day for Mommy!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment