Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rolling Stairs and Flying Chopsticks

Everywhere I go- chaos seems to follow. (could have something to do with the fact that, these days, everywhere I go 2 little boys go also) Yesterday was a pretty busy day for us, and although we had an awesome day we did have a few moments as well.
Event #1: Swim season is coming to an end (Hallelujah!!) (oops did I say that out loud?) and yesterday was districts in Johnston. The Johnston pool is literally 1 minute from our house, and my family was in town for the meet so we packed up the boys and headed over! The pool area was pretty hot and Kallen was rather irritable but all things considered he did pretty well. I was focusing on Lincoln and Kallen was playing with my sister when all of a sudden I hear the crowd around us gasp and I look up to see Kallen falling down the cement stairs. (Yikes!) The good news is he mostly rolled down in slow motion and came out without even a scratch- but oh boy did he give his mom a heart attack! I'm pretty sure I practically threw Lincoln into my Mom's arms to rush to Kallen's side. (that mother's instinct I guess) We recovered from "the fall" and decided to box Kallen in the bleachers next to the wall to play with my brother Jacob. Kallen insisted on sitting on the metal bleachers like a big boy, and I again was focusing on Lincoln when I caught a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head just in time to see Kallen hit the cement floor- don't worry his head broke his fall. He came up screaming and, again, poor Lincoln got thrown into my Mom's arms. This time he had a nice goose egg on his forehead- and I spent the rest of the swim meet smiling and explaining it to kind people who would walk up and say "oh my gosh, poor baby! What happened!?" We made it to the end of the swim meet and Shawn's boys did great! (Ok, so maybe I didn't learn they did great until I talked to Shawn later last night. I wonder when I will ever actually Watch a swim meet again?)

Event #2: After the meet my family decided to go out for supper at Bang Bang (the new restaurant on Mills Civic that is just like Hu Hot. Very good! But a little pricey) Kallen was sitting across the table from me in between my sister and Jacob. (in retrospect, perhaps setting him by Jacob was not the best idea but they entertain each other so well!) The meal was going great and Kallen and Jacob were eating with chopsticks. Jacob set his chopsticks down, hanging halfway off the table, and Kallen saw them- raised his little hand, and brought it down hitting the end of the chopsticks. This sent them flying across the restaurant landing on the poor innocent father and daughters' table behind us. Luckily, no one was injured by the flying chopsticks and we all shared a few giggles and apologies. Jacob, who had not seen what happened to his chopsticks, saw us talking to the man, and noticing "his chopsticks" lying on the bench beside him decides to get up, pick up the chopsticks, then place them on the man's table for him. He then returns to our table and realizes his chopsticks are missing- so my mom explains that those were his chopsticks. Jacob proceeds to go back over to the mans table and grab his chopsticks practically out of the man's hand, and bring them back to our table. And here I'm sure that guy thought he was going to have a nice calm dinner with his daughter. :)

Event #3: After Bang Bang we headed over to the mall to do some quick shopping and let the boys play in the play place. I do realize that at this point my son is exhausted and it is getting close to bedtime, but I figured he could run out the rest of his energy and be completely ready for bed by the time we left the mall. I was enjoying hanging out with my Mom and sister when I look over to see Kallen shove this kid, who is twice his size, off of the ship. Luckily the kid just hit the floor, bounced back up, and went on his way but it is moments like that- that make me wish the kid would have turned around and given Kallen a taste of his own medicine. Kallen spent most of the time in the play place shoving and hitting other kids. None of them ever hit back- they just took the abuse. I, of course, ran in to talk to him but at this phase in our life it doesn't seem to do any good. I really think that if one of these days another child would fight back, and show Kallen how it feels, then perhaps he would realize what he is doing. Until then- I have the big bully that runs around the play place looking for trouble. I am determined that we will get through this phase, and no matter how badly I want to just keep my child at home where I know he will not bother anyone, he is never going to learn if we don't just keep at it.

We ended the day with Kallen falling asleep the minute I put him in his car seat. All in all we had a really GREAT day- but boy could I do without the drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment